Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Farewell, Sweet Prince......

 

  I am down in the dumps today after the election results.  I had allowed myself to see a brighter future, but am left with “four more years.”  Lots of people are trying to move past it, but I am still grieving the loss.  The contrast between what might have been and what is, is still too fresh.

Since I’ve always been a bit of a tree-hugger, I turn to these words by Anne Frank, from her Diary.  They’re not the perfect remedy, but it helps me to know she could find solace even in her situation:


"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature... Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be…amidst the simple beauty of nature. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles."

-–Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

2 comments:

  1. Feeling better yet? I can remember a few distinct times in life, when I was particularly distraught or depressed, and John determinedly took me outside and made me look around. I read your post to him and he said mmmhmm. He and I are trying hard to believe what God says in Romans 13, that governing authorities are ordained by God for our good. It's taking a mighty effort! But it helps, along with His creation outside that literally calms the heart. So weird to think of Anne Frank, stuck inside for so long, away from nature which she apparently loved. So glad to know this, I don't remember ever reading this about her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm better! I'm pretty resilient emotionally, although I still change the channel every time Obama speaks. :) I love that quote by Anne Frank, and felt a little silly using it when my situation doesn't come close to hers. But every word resonates with me, and I appreciate her all the more. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete