Wednesday, November 30, 2011

School Night

One of my most special childhood memories happened when I was around 12 years old.  I was going through a bit of a rough spell--I can’t remember exactly what it was, a typical 12-year old angst.  One night I was having a hard time, feeling the weight of the world.  It was a school night, and my sisters had already gone to bed.  So I sat in the rocking chair in my bedroom, in the dark, and rocked, holding my favorite teddy bear.  The bear’s head had become separated from his body a year or so earlier, but I still loved him.  So, holding his head in place, I rocked him in the dark, and was comforted.


My parents were still up, and one of them passed the bedroom and apparently saw me rocking, because soon after, both came into my room, took the teddy bear and left with him.  I could hear them in the family room, fussing a bit under their breaths, working together.  I kept rocking, waiting.


About 10 minutes later, they came back in the room, and placed the bear in my arms, his head re-attached by a series of threads.  I continued rocking, a little caught up in my drama, but with a warm place in my heart.  I knew everything was going to be alright.

  

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, I could sob. Mom and Dad are the cutest, best people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be that kind of parent!
    THANK YOU for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on Jamie's comment ... and yes, thank you for sharing. I love the sound of Mom and Dad's murmuring from another room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Oh oh! This is so poignant! It tears at the heart in a very warm sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, every time I think that I could have been a better parent I read this. Thank God, I've only had to reread it once so far. :)

    ReplyDelete