Saturday, November 26, 2011

Certainty is so Tempting

I often observe in myself a desire for certainty, and I suspect I am not alone in this.  So I found this little satire by Anthony de Mello quite delightful: 

The Sting 

"A saint was once given the gift of speaking the language of the ants. He approached one, who seemed the scholarly type, and asked, “What is the Almighty like? Is he in any way similar to the ant?”

Said the scholar, “The Almighty? Certainly not! We ants, you see, have only one sting.  But the Almighty, he has two!”

Suggested post script:

When asked what heaven was like, the ant-scholar solemnly replied, “There we shall be just like Him, having two stings each, only smaller ones.”

A bitter controversy rages among religious schools of thought as to where exactly the second sting will be located in the heavenly body of the ant.
Anthony de Mello, "Song of the Bird" 1984


No comments:

Post a Comment