Thursday, November 24, 2011

Steinbeck Revived!

I cannot let this day go by without reviving my topic of John Steinbeck.  I'm afraid I did him a disservice by implying that ALL of his works were trying to forward a worldview of despair and fragmentation.  I remembered today that I had read and really liked "The Winter of our Discontent."  Definitely not a book meant to leave you in a pit of hopelessness, although at some points you might wonder. 

It's funny about that book.  My father and I discovered a few years ago that we both thought it had a particular ending, and we didn't really like it.  But then we reread it, separately, without talking about it, and found that we'd both misinterpreted the ending the first time, and actually LOVED the ending.  I highly recommend this book, which was Steinbeck's last.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read it. I'm adding it to my "To Read" list right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you shuuuuuuuure? I'm scared to read it, but you've got me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete